POSITION SUMMARY Quanta Magazine
, an editorially independent science news site published by the Simons Foundation, seeks an audience engagement and social media maven with a strong editorial background and a passion for science journalism who can plan and execute the magazine's expanding social media and marketing strategies. This audience engagement editor will energize Quanta
's audience building efforts by proposing new ideas, tools and strategies for audience development, writing and editing daily posts on our social media channels, moderating comments from our community of readers, engaging with readers on various online platforms and producing electronic newsletters. By coordinating partnerships and community-building events and monitoring site analytics, the audience engagement editor will also help to guide the editorial team's energies most productively in support of our audience engagement goals.
The perfect candidate will be a creative thinker, savvy in the ways of today's social media and the internet, but also an excellent (and concise) writer and editor. Candidates should have impeccable editorial judgment, ideally honed by solid newsroom experience. Devotion to the highest standards in journalistic ethics and scientific accuracy are a must.
This full-time position reports to one of the deputy editors and to the editor in chief and is based at the Simons Foundation's headquarters in New York City.
- At least 5 years' combined experience as an audience engagement editor, social media producer, editor, journalist or community manager for a large newspaper, magazine or news website, with a proven track record of audience growth, editorial acumen and responsible engagement.
- Experience managing social media accounts (including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram), building and maintaining media partnerships, developing audience building strategies, and planning online community-building "events," preferably around science or math-related content.
- A background in journalism is required. A background in science journalism is a plus.
- Must be comfortable writing, editing and producing social media content, including text, images and videos, under Web deadlines and be up-to-date on the best social media practices, journalistic standards and internet conventions.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized, and demonstrate the highest standards of written English and visual communication.
- Experience with SEO and Web metrics analysis and reporting.
- Must be an excellent communicator and team player and have the ability to coordinate social media production with editors, reporters and the art staff.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position
- A list of three references
- Up to 10 social media or audience engagement work samples or case studies (with associated metrics)
ABOUT QUANTA Quanta Magazine
is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by theSimons Foundationto enhance public understanding of science. Our reporters and editors focus on developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences, with an emphasis on delivering timely, accurate, in-depth and well-crafted articles for our broad, discerning audience. Quanta
has syndication partnerships with Wired
, The Atlantic
, Scientific American
, The Washington Post
and other publications, has published two books (Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire
and The Prime Number Conspiracy
) and our articles have been translated into several languages.
The Simons Foundation's Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employmentwithout regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability,veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/z646ryzh95yy874d